Friday, July 16, 2010

Topic Proposal


Ashley Estrada
7.16.2010
Eng 102/ Topic Proposal




How low the birth rates were in Atwood’s text then when compared to today’s?
I was completely wrong in assuming birth rates are higher than ever. I assumed this because of the spike in adolescent pregnancies as well as the abnormally large families that people seem to be creating. In the little I have researched on this topic, I have found that adolescent birth rates are in fact off the charts. The website with this information is: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2009/12/teen-pregnancy-us-birth-rates-death-rates-cdc-pediatrics-baby.html. There are the tv shows such as 18 and counting that blow my mind and make me a little bit upset. It makes be upset because we all know that any non-tv star family with 18 children would never be able to afford it. This would be something else that tat dollars go to, so we would be paying to support their children basically. Another reason is because they are clearly starting to not have such healthy babies now…

I chose this topic because it will affect more than just my views on this text, but on my view of having children myself. I have never researched this statistics because I do not plan on having a family soon, but in the back of my head I have always thought my reason for wanting a small family was because I don’t want to be a contributing factor if there are too many babies being born out there and over populating. It will help be better understand Atwood because none of us know what it is like to live in a time like that. Women are treated so much differently, for the good, and maybe it will make us more appreciative. These statistics will compare the book to today and see what it could be like for us with today’s statistics.


No comments:

Post a Comment